Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment in Canvas. When students use LockDown Browser to access a quia, they are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. Quizzes created for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with standard browsers.
Respondus Monitor is a webcam feature for LockDown Browser that records students during online, non-proctored quizzes. When this feature is enabled for a quiz, students are required to use a webcam and microphone with LockDown Browser. After the quiz is complete, an instructor can review details of the assessment, even the recorded videos. Instructors can access the Respondus Monitor settings through the LockDown Browser Dashboard.
You must DOWNLOAD and install Respondus Lockdown Browser to your computer. You cannot use a Mobile Device. iPads and Chromebooks can be used with permission from your instructor.
Steps for installing LockDown Browser to a Chromebook is easy.
- Log into the Chromebook and start Google Chrome
- Log into Canvas and navigate to the exam that requires LockDown Browser
- Select the link for downloading and installing LockDown Browser - Download link
- From the Chrome web store, select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension
- Note: during the beta, this extension will only work with quizzes an instructor has enabled for use with LockDown Browser for Chromebook
If you have technical questions, or would like to report bugs/issues, please open a support ticket at http://support.respondus.com. Be sure to indicate you are using LockDown Browser for Chromebook.
How to Access Respondus Browser and Monitors
After successfully downloading and installing the Respondus Browser to your device
Taking a Quiz
1. Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
2. Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
3. If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
4. Log into Canvas.
5. Navigate to the test within the course and select Take a Quiz.
6. The quiz will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Answers button is clicked
You will be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”) Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required. Follow steps 1-6 in the previous “Taking an Assessment” section. At this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
› The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
› The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the left side of the screen.
Guides and Tutorials
Several resources are available if you encounter problems with LockDown Browser:
- Knowledgebase – Here you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions, and even a few obscure ones.
- Help Center – Available within Respondus Monitor itself and helps you troubleshoot technical issues (webcam, microphone, internet connection, etc.) and get technical assistance.Use the "System & Network Check" and "Webcam Check" to troubleshoot issues.
- 24/7 Live Chat for Students – Students having technical problems with Respondus Monitor can initiate a live chat with Respondus Support. This 24/7 service is available within Respondus Monitor and is accessed from “Help Center” and the “It’s Not Working” links that appear in the pre-exam startup steps.
- WCCS E-Learning Department - Students can email a staff member for assistance at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Windows: 10,8 & 7
- Mac: MacOS, 10.15 to 10.12, OX S 10.11, OXS 10.10
- iOS 11.0+ (iPads Only)
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive.
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive.
- Windows: 25 GB Ram
- Mac: 512 MB Ram